Friday, October 5, 2012

Carving Out the Light


My goals in this work were to successfully create a realistic representation of pumpkins, and use as little light as possible.  I accomplished this with a dark charcoal and drawing from life.  My painting is about how the light hits it.  The hardest challenge I faced while drawing this was getting every little shadow in and the exact detail of the depression lines in the pumpkins.  I accomplished this by placing light right next to a line of darkness.  I have a moment of light in the center.  I have learned that dark charcoals are very good for shading.  While I was watching Lien, I picked up a little bit of her shading techniques.  If I did it over, I'd try to get the proportions better.  I'm very proud of my shadows.

1 comment:

  1. terrific picture and statement. you are really beginning to think (and see) like an artist.

    ReplyDelete