Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Keep Me Out of the Darkness

This is my charcoal painting.  There are two shells, one being larger and the other smaller.  They could be described as a family, such as a younger and an older sibling, or a mother and a child.  The "mother" shell is keeping the "baby" shell out of the darkness of her past, as she doesn't want her child to become like she was.  The child has a small shadow, and she could be forgiven of her mistakes, and the mother doesn't want her shadow to grow any bigger, so she is keeping her out of the darkness, hence my title.

I added in a light and dark merge.  I may not have a full value range for the dark, but it is enough to convey emotion.  I was going for a somewhat depressing mood.  Altogether, I'd give myself a 90-95%, as I have a realistic representation of shells, I have a nice range of values, my objects are quite cropped, and I have a zoomed in view, and I still have unoccupied space, as I didn't want to take up very much space, yet take up just enough.

7 comments:

  1. Your painting looks beautiful. I also love the story you told of the mother protecting the baby from the darkness of her past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C: I worked hard on figuring the story out, and my work obviously paid off!~

      Delete
  2. great sense of "atmosphere." The shells look like they are in fog which adds to aa dramatic mood. nice merges

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome painting! I totally love it! The whole atmosphere of the painting is just so beautiful and unique. It also has the perfect amount of detail. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your comment, and yes, I was working hard to capture the detail in the shells. Glad it paid off!

      Also, I can't view your blog to comment back, could you invite me to look at it?

      Delete
  4. I really like the detail on the shell. Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the shell is like a divider for light and dark, nice job!

    ReplyDelete